Strictly HDR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

P/S B&W conversion back into colour

3 posters

Go down

P/S B&W conversion back into colour Empty P/S B&W conversion back into colour

Post by honez 2009-02-22, 10:27

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times on the web for Photoshop post-processing -- how do you convert the image to B&W, process tone and contrast, then bring colour back in. I thought once the colour was gone, it was gone for good.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
honez
honez

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

P/S B&W conversion back into colour Empty Re: P/S B&W conversion back into colour

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-02-22, 20:30

Why do I feel like I used to know how to do this? I'm thinking it has something to do with lab mode, as opposed to RGB mode. Anyone?
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod
Registration date : 2009-01-21

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

P/S B&W conversion back into colour Empty Re: P/S B&W conversion back into colour

Post by DAVE RHUBERG 2009-03-12, 19:37

You'd have to be a bit more specific, there are many ways, but I'll tell you two I use.
I often develop an original, make a copy as another layer, convert that to B&W using Hue&Saturation Adjustment. I'll work that B&W, maybe invert it, desaturate it, run a little Diffuse Glow and reinvert for an Oorton type effect.
Then choose a blend for combining the tone and contrast of the B&W with the color and detail of the original. Usually I'll go Overlay, Multiply, or Luminance. Maybe a combination of all 3 at different opacities with layer copies.
You can also go to LAB color, and adjust the luminance channel. You can load that channel back onto a copy of your original. You could mask it, to get a selective adjustment.
You can open with ACRaw, get your adjustment in the color sliders with the grayscale checkbox. Open as a smart object and you can go back and readjust color from B&W.
Just always make a copy layer to work on, you can go back at any opacity.
DAVE RHUBERG
DAVE RHUBERG

Male Number of posts : 23
Job/hobbies : Reading, photography, astronomy, travel
Camera Equipment : Nikon D70, D70s, 80-200, 12-24, 50mm, Modbook computer
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-03-12, 19:48

Awesome info, Dave! Would you mind posting this in the 'tutorials' section as well? Thx!
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod
Registration date : 2009-01-21

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down