Strictly HDR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double processing

4 posters

Go down

Double processing Empty Double processing

Post by dddphoto 2009-01-24, 12:58

So there are times when processing an image more than once can get a look that just once can't. What I do is process at settings that make a much darker image than I would normally do. Then without saving or closing the image I process again at different settings. The reason to do the first one darker is that the second processing step lightens it up quite a bit. Oh, I am using Photomatix Pro. Here is an example of what I am talking about.

Double processing 3041623957_5d2af62aac

The upper left is the 0 EV image, the upper right is how I would tone map if I was going to only do it once, the bottom left is how I would tone map if I was going to tone map the same image twice (notice how much darker I make it), the bottom right is the final image tone mapped twice and an Orton Effect added.
dddphoto
dddphoto

Male Number of posts : 28
Job/hobbies : Cytogenetic Technologist
Camera Equipment : Pentax K10D, DA*16-50
Registration date : 2009-01-23

http://www.dddphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Double processing Empty Re: Double processing

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-01-24, 18:01

When I first started doing HDR, I used to do double processing as well. I would run it through Photomatix a second time after saving it as a 16bit tiff. I've learned that I can do a lot more subtle work in PS after tone mapping than with running it through a second time. But I love those four examples above. Really shows how great a photo can look with tonemapping without going over the top.

Melanie
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod
Registration date : 2009-01-21

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

Post by saftbill 2009-01-29, 18:20

Right now, I'm converting the RAW (Nikon NEF) files and doing slight adjustments in Lightroom first. I usually take the 'normal' exposure and lightly tweak it, then apply the same changes to the other exposures (very handy if I 'healed' anything) and export them all as 16-bit tif files. I process those tifs through Photomatix Pro, tonemap, and output the result as 16-bit tif. Then that's imported back into Lightroom for final adjustments before saving as an 8-bit tif or jpg. I'm a PS beginner, so when I'm better at it, I'll probably use that as well.
saftbill
saftbill

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by HDRJunkie 2009-01-29, 19:54

Double processing is something Ben Wilmore talked about during the Phototshop CS4 for Photographers seminar. I have not tried it out, but iot does look interesting.

saftbill, that sounds very similar to my workflow, although many times I just open the RAW files directly in Photomatix. The downside to that is you need to import the final product back into Lightroom.
HDRJunkie
HDRJunkie

Male Number of posts : 48
Camera Equipment : D300, SB-900, 17-55 f/2.8, 18-200 VR

Back to top Go down

Post by saftbill 2009-01-30, 09:52

HDRJ, I used to import the RAW files straight into Photomatix, but in the FAQs at their website ("Do I need to process bracketed RAW files to 16-bit format first?") , they basically state their RAW converter isn't the best, and recommend using LR, PS, DxO, Aperture, etc. to do the RAW conversion. That's when I started using LR for the RAW conversion.
saftbill
saftbill

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-01-29

Back to top Go down

Post by HDRJunkie 2009-01-30, 17:02

saftbill wrote:HDRJ, I used to import the RAW files straight into Photomatix, but in the FAQs at their website ("Do I need to process bracketed RAW files to 16-bit format first?") , they basically state their RAW converter isn't the best, and recommend using LR, PS, DxO, Aperture, etc. to do the RAW conversion. That's when I started using LR for the RAW conversion.

Thanks, that is good to know. The workflow is much better that way, also, since it gets saved back into Lightroom automatically.
HDRJunkie
HDRJunkie

Male Number of posts : 48
Camera Equipment : D300, SB-900, 17-55 f/2.8, 18-200 VR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down