Strictly HDR
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The New Canon 5D Mark II

5 posters

Go down

The New Canon 5D Mark II Empty The New Canon 5D Mark II

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-01-21, 19:06

Wow, do I love this camera. I've recently switched from the Rebel XTi to the 5DMII and I have to say that it's a huge difference. The 5D just feels like money. I have also noticed that the pictures are crisper.

Has anyone else used this camera?

Melanie
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod
Registration date : 2009-01-21

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

The New Canon 5D Mark II Empty nope

Post by thesnapper 2009-01-21, 20:30

Nope but it will be my next wedding tool of choice, currently use a couple of 1D Mk2 N

Neal

what is the AF tracking and the burst frame rates like on the 5d Mk2 ..... ie would it also make a good sports camera !!!!!!
thesnapper

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

The New Canon 5D Mark II Empty Re: The New Canon 5D Mark II

Post by HDRJunkie 2009-01-23, 19:10

Nikon D300 shooter here, but that does look like one amazing camera, and quite a step up from the XTi.
HDRJunkie
HDRJunkie

Male Number of posts : 48
Camera Equipment : D300, SB-900, 17-55 f/2.8, 18-200 VR
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Back to top Go down

Post by SpiffyPix 2009-01-24, 19:00

thesnapper wrote:Nope but it will be my next wedding tool of choice, currently use a couple of 1D Mk2 N

Neal

what is the AF tracking and the burst frame rates like on the 5d Mk2 ..... ie would it also make a good sports camera !!!!!!

Hi Neal - I'm not sure about the AF tracking as i haven't used it much yet (cold outside!). But the burst frame rate is 3.9/second, 10 shots in RAW. Not too bad and it's perfect for my purposes. How do you feel about the 1D? Quite a piece of equipment...

Mel
SpiffyPix
SpiffyPix
Admin

Female Number of posts : 170
Job/hobbies : choo-choo driver
Camera Equipment : Canon 5D Mark II, Canon Glass, Gitzo 'pod

http://www.spiffypix.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Reprobate 2009-02-25, 19:07

I've had a 5D II for about a month. Was shooting a 5D and a 40D. I suspect I'll get a 50D soon (I'm liking the microfocus on the 5D II a lot, and since the 50D has that too, well . . . .), retire the 40D (my bride has a number of nieces and nephew who are just getting out of school and who are, thus, broke) and continue using the 5D as a backup.

I love the images coming out of the 5D II, even if the files are quite a bit bigger. But this means that they are more "croppable", and since I do a lot of high-magnification macro, this is a good thing.

HDR-wise, since the files are bigger they take more time to process in any / all of the software packages I'm using (Photomatix Pro, PTGui Pro, Helicon Focus, PS CS4 Ext). The results appear to be worth it. I have not yet taken the same image with the same lens, with the only variation being the 5D and the 5D II bodies, and compared the resulting images side by side. But I used the 5D for a couple of years and am fairly familiar with what it will do; the 5D II does noticeably more.
Reprobate
Reprobate

Male Number of posts : 4
Job/hobbies : Retired / nearly anything
Camera Equipment : Canon bodies, glass & flash; Gitzo, RRS, Markins
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by HDArtist 2009-02-26, 02:41

Reprobate wrote:I've had a 5D II for about a month. Was shooting a 5D and a 40D. I suspect I'll get a 50D soon (I'm liking the microfocus on the 5D II a lot, and since the 50D has that too, well . . . .), retire the 40D.

Don't know about that microfocus option and how important it is to you, but I'm not sure it's a wise thing to swap your 40D for a 50D. Newer is not always better, it seems. I've had to choose between these two camera's some time ago and I came across too many reviews that were quite sceptical about the 50D, stating it was hardly an improvement on the 40. Some considered it even worse and quite a few users proclaimed they would definitely stick to their 40D. It convinced me the 50D was not an option, so I went for the 40D (and very happy with it).
HDArtist
HDArtist

Male Number of posts : 60
Camera Equipment : Canon: 40D, EF-S 10-22 1:3.5-4.5 IS USM, 24-105 1:4 L IS USM, 70-200 L 1:2.8 USM
Registration date : 2009-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down